You may have been a parent for some time now, or having your second or third child. You may feel like it should get easier, but find that you are somehow still struggling. The act of parenting doesn’t get easier – it will always be interspersed with the challenges of raising children. However, as you grow as a parent you learn to be more confident in yourself and you learn to be more positive about the challenges. As a more experienced parent you are able to see that the hard times don’t last and that you are all more than capable of getting through anything. Being a positive parent can help you through the challenges.
Remaining positive means steering clear of parenting myths:
- You don’t have to have all the answers all of the time
- You don’t always need to cope on your own
- Parenting does not come naturally!
These are only likely to leave you feeling inadequate and down.
Try to remember the positives in parenting:
- You get to experience real, unconditional love. You love your children unconditionally and they love you just for being who you are.
- You are their knight in shining armour and, for the most part, can do no wrong in your children’s eyes.
- Parenting gives you the opportunity to act like a kid every now and then. You get to stop “adulting” and just have fun whenever you feel like it.
- You have the experience of watching little people grow and develop. You get to enjoy the world through their eyes and experience the wonder in the little things again
The important thing to keep in mind is that there is no tried and tested method of parenting and children don’t come with manuals. The right way to parent is the way that is right for you. Trust your natural instincts and go with the flow. Being hard on yourself stands in the way of enjoying this special time of your life. Get as much support as you can and take care of yourself. Your children depend on you to be healthy and happy.