Stella Bowring (“your treating psychologist”) and Changes Psychology (the admin service “provider”) take your privacy seriously. This document describes the management of the information you disclose to your treating psychologist in relation to yourself. Therapy addresses issues of a highly personal nature and it is important that you understand your rights with regard to your records and personal information collected.
- We work like a virtual clinic office, collecting and managing personal and medical information provided by you and your psychologist, which naturally includes sensitive health information.
- We collect, use and (where appropriate) share this information, which includes health information, in order to facilitate appointments with psychologists; manage payment, medicare and insurance claims; and manage records regarding your appointments. Handling of personal information involves storage and processing of some data overseas via offshore data centres.
Your treating psychologist will store: confidential casenotes and information that is not accessible by the provider’s admin team. Your information will be kept in a file that will be seen only by the treating psychologist and will be retained as a record of what happens during
sessions. As required by law, your file will be securely stored for 7 years (or if you are under 18 years old, your file must be kept
until you turn 25). After this time it will be destroyed in a confidential manner.
- Confidentiality -All personal information gathered during the provision of psychological services will remain confidential and secure except where:
- It is subpoenaed by a court; or
- Failure to disclose that information would place you or another person at risk; or
- A child may be at risk of harm (physical, psychological, neglect, sexual); or
- Your approval has been obtained to provide a written report or discuss that information with another professional or agency.
- Some referral types (eg Medicare, WorkCover) require regular, brief updates with third parties eg general practitioner, insurance providers).
- Neither your treating Psychologist, or admin provider, will provide information, reports or documentation for medico-legal or family court related purposes unless we required to by law, under a subpoena or by a court order.
- To access your information –You must provide a written request to access your information and your request will be processed within 21 days and an hourly fee is payable to collate and provide this information to you. Before releasing the information we need to ensure we meet the requirements of the National Privacy Policies.